If you have not made the switch from Google to Ecosia, make it now!
What is Ecosia?
- An online search engine
- A social enterprise started in late 2009, based in Berlin, Germany
- The first German B Corp
Why Use Ecosia?
- 80% of their profits are donated to non-profit organisations focused on planting trees, conservation and reforestation projects
Working with local, on the ground partners who manage the projects , they support tree-planting projects in Peru, Brazil, Madagascar, Nicaragua, Haiti, Colombia, Spain, Morocco, Senegal, Burkina Faso, Ghana, Ethiopia, Uganda, Kenya, Tanzania and Indonesia.
- Every search on Ecosia removes around 1 kg of CO2 from the atmosphere. It takes around 50 searches to plant new tree and an average tree planted by Ecosia removes around 50 kg of CO2 during its lifetime
- Trees provide habitat, shelter and food for animals in the ecosystem
- Tree planting generates jobs and increases knowledge in the area
- Their servers are run on 100% renewable energy
- They have a blog that gives frequent updates from their tree-planting projects worldwide. See here.
- Each monthly financial report is available online here for transparency – in case one wants to ensure that they honour their pledge.
- Ecosia also has an online shop for those who want branded hoodies/t-shirts/jumpers with environmental messages on them. See here.
All pieces are produced in a factory run on renewable energy, are made of certified organic cotton and all profits go towards reforestation projects worldwide as well.
Check them out at www.ecosia.org
If you’re used to using Google, it may take a few more seconds to find exactly what you’re looking for. We have been using Ecosia for the past few years and the results it generates have improved as it gets more active users.